Door of the Natural Regional Park of Morvan
Made of intact and wild nature, with pure monuments of roman art, typical food, in a privileged geographical situation and a certain way of life.
Don’t miss Saint Andoche Basilica, jewel of the roman Middle Ages. This church of the twelfth century is visited for its numerous capitals with illustrations of the Old and new Testament scenes, flora and fantastic and familiar animals. Moreover, you will discover a sarcophagae of Carrara marble from the second century, stalls of the fourteenth century, and a restored organ.
Visit François Pompon museum, son of the soil, an animal sculptor who was Rodin’s student.
Take your time to discover the city in the bear’s steps (arrows on the floor), peaceful streets, old houses, hidden Virgian’s statues… Admire the elegant bell tower of Saint Saturnin church, and Jean Mace walk with its centenarian limes.
The reputation of gastronomic city comes from the Age of Enlightenment and after two great chiefs have highlighted the name of Saulieu : Alexandre Dumaine who was in charge of La Côte d’Or restaurant during thirty-two years and Bernard Loiseau whose cuisine went beyond frontiers. Our specialities : Morvan ham, eggs in red wine sauce, and the indispensable charolais’ meat.
24 rue d’Argentine - 21210 Saulieu
Person in charge :
- CHAUDRON Noëmie - Phone number : 03 80 64 00 21
- MALACZ Paula - Phone number : 03 80 64 00 21
Opening hours :
- October to March : Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-12:00/2:00-5:00
- April: Tuesday to Saturday 10:00-13:00/2:00-6:00
- May: Monday to Saturday 9:30-12:00/2:00-7:00 and Sunday 10:00-13:00/2:00-5:00 from May 5th
- June to August: from Monday to Saturday 9:30-13:00/14:00-19:00
- September : from Monday to Saturday 10:00-13:00/14:00-18:00 and Sunday 10:00-13:00/14:00-17:00 until September 15th
MOUNTAIN BIKES and ROAD BIKES
From the beginning of April, 2009, it is possible to rent bikes equipped with security equipment (bikes helmets, kit, pumps) by addressing the tourist office. Baby seats and trailers for children are available.
It is also possible since the summer to rent MOUNTAIN BIKES to explore “the Morvan” on marked out paths thanks to the initiative of the association sédélocienne Vélo Morvan Nature.